Attendees of Carleton's 'Sun, Moon, and Science' event view the sun through a solar telescope on April, 7 2024. [Photo by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan]

In anticipation for the partial eclipse, the faculty of science invited students and the Ottawa community to learn about the science behind a total eclipse at the Sun, Moon, and Science: An Afternoon of Celestial Beauty event on April 7. 

The event featured an afternoon of mini-lectures by Carleton faculty Hanika Rizo, Yue Zhang, Nadia Bozak and Indigenous guest speaker Barry Sarazin. 

Throughout the event participants learned about the marvels of the solar system, cosmos, sun and Big Bang Theory. 

A telescope provided by the Faculty of Science allowed participants to view the sun and its gases.

While Ottawa may not have been in the path of totality during the April 8 solar eclipse, hundreds of Carleton University students and faculty still gathered on campus and peered up at the sky.

Students gathered on the Richcraft Hall balcony and lined the Rideau Canal donning solar eclipse glasses to watch the moon cover the sun, creating a 98-per-cent partial eclipse. 

Roughly 100 people on the balcony watched in awe as the eclipse occurred over the course of an hour. 

A telescope was perched in the corner of the balcony to record the eclipse to a faculty of science computer, taking images as it progressed.

Featured image by Anya Swettenham.