Withstanding frigid conditions, groups of teams head out onto the ice to participate in the Tim Hortons Ottawa Dragon Boat Festival on Dow’s Lake. The Charlatan captures all the action.

Despite the cold, competitors dressed up in a range of different costumes.
Following a technicality during a previous race, racers race against the clock in an attempt to gain a holding in the semi-final competition.
“Paddle like a Mother” a women’s team competes in the women’s only race. Throughout the competition their were mixed teams and men’s teams, some with funny names such as Chinatown Snowboat, Waterborne Pathogens and the Confused Dragon.
With temperatures plummeting to -15 degrees team members waited outside behind designated gates for their turn to enter their boat and compete in the race.
Team members from Women in Pink, run out to the start line in preparation for the semi final race on the second day of the 2020 Ice Dragon Boat Festival. With a 100 different teams, races were stacked back-to-back over the two-day period.
Crowds look on from the sidelines of the racetrack as the 2020 Ice Dragon Boat Festival kicks-off in its second and final day. The racetrack was situated on Dows Lake and allowed for skaters to stand and watch as the event unfolded.
A team member from the GTB Dragon Boat Team checks the bottoms of his paddle. The paddle is used to grip the ice and propel the boat forward during the race.
A semi final race is underway. Similar to the summer edition of the Dragon Boat Festival, competitors row to the beat of a drummer who is situated at the front of the boat. At the back of the boat a competitor steers and once past the finish line, the competitor engages the breaks.
Team members cheer and encourage each other on ahead of the semi final race at the 2020 Ice Dragon Boat Festival

Feature image by Spencer Colby.