Pictured here is Dwyane Morgan who is an award-winning spoken word performer and is currently based in Toronto, Ontario. Dwayne performed in front of audiences from an event hosted by Carleton University School of Social Work (CUSSW).

Carleton University School of Social Work (CUSSW) kicked off Black History Month with an opening ceremony held at Carleton Dominion-Chalmers Centre (CDCC). The Charlatan was there to capture the event.

In the second year of the event, the CUSSW invited President and Vice-Chancellor of Carleton University Dr. Benoit-Antoine Bacon. In his speech, President Bacon, amongst many different topics, talked about many prominent black people that have walked through the halls of Carleton University.
Pictured here is Dwyane Morgan who is an award-winning spoken word performer and is currently based in Toronto, Ontario. Dwayne performed in front of audiences from an event hosted by CUSSW.
Rita Carter is an Ottawa born artist with roots to Uganda who has since played at major Ottawa venues including RBC Bluesfest and CityFolk Fest.
The event in its second year running hosted a long running list of performers including Sherill Shaw and the Academy Choir as pictured here.
The Honourable Wanda T. Bernard Senator of Nova Scotia was an honorary guest at the Inspire Black History Month event. Senator Bernard, was the founding member of the Association of Black Social Worker, has influenced government legislation in efforts to improve welfare and child services of Black peoples in Canada.
Pictured here is Camille W. Taylor who is currently the Director of Education at the Ottawa- Carleton District School Board (OCDSB) and works towards equitable practices and social justice for inclusive instructional programs within the OCDSB system.
Over 10 various members formed the Remesha Drums including young and talented children.
A panorama view of the event being hosted by CUSSW. This picture is a compilation of 4 photos taken at Dominion-Chalmers United Church, a Carleton University owned Church in Ottawa, Ontario.
As part of the event, the CUSSW hosted a panel of prominent local and national Black leaders and activists to discuss issues faced by Black peoples in Canada. Panellist includes, Camille W. Taylor, Director of Education for OCDSB; Senator Bernard of Nova Scotia; Sadia Abdullahi, graduate student from CUSSW; barrister, solicitor, and Notary Public Kevin Williams; and Tyler Boyce, Youth Council Director of the Federation of Black Canadians.
To mark the ending of the event, performers from Remesha Drums performed a traditional dance and performances originating from the African state of Burundi. The performance is typically performed during ceremonies of birth, harvest and coronation of Kings. The Remesha Drums moved to Ottawa from Burundi in 2001 and have performed all over the country as well as the United States.

Feature image by Spencer Colby.