Robert, played by James Barron, constantly doubts whether he’ll ever get married. (Photo by: Willie Carroll)

Company is not so much a musical about relationships, but rather about the function and benefit of them, beyond filling emotional needs.

The Sock ‘n’ Buskin production, which played March 15-17 and continues March 22-24 at the Kailash Mital Theatre, revolves around the protagonist Robert, who is played by James Barron.

When we first meet Robert, he’s celebrating his 35th birthday surrounded by close friends. Coincidentally, all these friends happen to be married couples.

Robert’s friends constantly tell him he should be married by now. They also aren’t afraid to let him know why he isn’t. In a series of separate flashback scenes, the couples remind Robert of the trials and upsides of marriage and finding “the one.”

“It’s about relationships, but there’s almost no discussion of love,” explained Sock ‘n’ Buskin director Dave Dawson.

Robert, meanwhile, constantly doubts whether he’ll ever get married. But over time, both Robert and the audience come to recognize the different aspects and flaws to each respective relationship, and how and why they work.

“It’s the idea of compatible damage,” Dawson said. “Everyone’s messed up, but if you find someone whose damage matches yours, then you’re going to be OK.”

Over the course of the show, the audience also meet the ladies in Robert’s life: April, the dim flight attendant, Marta the free spirit, and Kathy, the one that got away.

Overall, Company is a very ambitious piece of work to undertake and Sock ‘n’ Buskin’s cast handles it impressively.

The singing and dancing was well-executed energetic choreography. It also helps that Stephen Sondheim’s music is incredibly catchy. Tess McManus, who plays Amy, tackled a seemingly crazed and impossible song and made it seem effortless.

Each cast member not only fulfills the role of his or her specific character, but also manages to fit well with his or her respective spouse. The give and take between all the couples seemed natural, as if they had been together for years.

Barron, meanwhile, makes for a good leading man. Robert comes across as slightly cocky but easy to like, and commands your attention even as a bit player in some scenes.

The stage is very simple, relying on the audience’s imagination to place the scene in different apartments and bars. However, this helps to save time and maintain the show’s pace by removing the lengthy pauses needed to change scenes. The band is also placed on-stage behind the action — the only downside to this being that the band and singers are often left fighting for their voices to be heard.

Overall, Sock ‘n’ Buskin puts forward a solid production of Sondheim’s Company that leaves the audience examining their own flawed but functioning relationships.