Chief Theresa Spence's encampment on Victoria Island in Ottawa. (Photo by Pedro Vasconcellos)

What started off as a small conference in Saskatoon has grown into a national movement. The Charlatan’s Véronique Hynes breaks down the major events since Idle No More began.

Oct. 18, 2012: Bill C-45 is introduced in the House of Commons. It is an omnibus budget bill that includes changes to the Indian Act and limits protection over waterways to only a few lakes and rivers. Many First Nations are against the new bill because they were not consulted, according to Carleton public policy professor Robert P. Shepherd.

Nov. 10, 2012: Four women hold a small conference in Saskatoon titled “Idle No More” in protest of Bill C-45, according to the CBC. Sylvia McAdams, Nina Wilsonfeld, Jessica Gordon, and Sheelah McLean create a Facebook group and  website.

Nov. 17, 2012: Throughout the week, teach-ins and protests are held in other cities, including Regina, Prince Albert, and Winnipeg, according to Idle No More’s website.

Dec. 10, 2012: The movement holds a National Day of Action, igniting protests in Vancouver, Saskatoon, Whitehorse, and other cities, according to Idle No More’s website.

Dec. 11, 2012: Chief Theresa Spence of the Attawapiskat First Nation begins a hunger strike, according to a press release.  Her diet   will only consist of tea, lemon water, and fish broth until Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Governor General David Johnston agree to meet with her.  She stays in a teepee on Victoria Island, near Parliament Hill.

Dec. 14, 2012: Bill C-45 passes through the Senate with a vote of 50-27, according to the Parliament of Canada’s website. It receives royal assent and becomes law.

Dec. 21, 2012: A protest is held on Parliament Hill. Aamjiwnaang First Nation blocks a railroad near Sarnia, Ont., according to CBC. The blockade continues for two weeks.

Dec. 30, 2012: Peaceful protests break out in Toronto, Calgary, and Victoria.  Protesters also block a train track near Marysville, Ont. delaying 2,000 passengers, according to a VIA Rail press release.

Jan. 4, 2013: Prime Minister Stephen Harper announces in a statement he will meet with the Assembly of First Nations on Jan. 11.  A spokesperson for Spence releases a statement saying the chief will not eat solid food until after the meeting.

Jan. 7, 2013: Idle No More organizer Tanya Kappo said there will be nationwide events on Jan. 11, and Jan. 28, ranging from teach-ins, to flash mobs, to protests.

An audit reveals Attawaspiskat did not properly document how it spent the $104 million the First Nation received from the federal government.

Jan. 8, 2013: Mikisew Cree and Two Frog Lake First Nation challenge parts of the government’s omnibus bill in court, according to CBC. They are asking for a review of the environmental provisions in the bill.

Jan. 9, 2013: Flash mob round dances are held at Carleton University and the University of Ottawa. The Indigenous and Canadian Studies Students’ Association at the U of O drafts a list of demands for the decolonization of the campus, including teaching Algonquin and Mohawk languages and increasing indigenous scholarships.

Chief Spence announces she will not attend the meeting between Prime Minister Stephen Harper and First Nations leaders because  Governor General David Johnston won’t be attending, according to CBC.

Jan. 11, 2013: After two days of back-and-forth, the meeting between Stephen Harper and aboriginal leaders goes ahead. Some indigenous leaders boycott the meeting to protest the absence of Governor General David Johnston. Idle No More protestors mass on Parliament Hill.