Faculty members from the University of Manitoba are proposing a new interdisciplinary master’s program in human rights, according to Annette Desmarais, Canada research chair in human rights, social justice, and food sovereignty at the university.

“The intent is that it would be an interdisciplinary program drawing research expertise on human rights issues in the Faculty of Arts and other units as well,” Greg Smith, associate dean for graduate studies in the Faculty of Arts, said.

This collaboration would be between the faculties of graduate studies, arts, law, education, and social work, according to the university’s press release.

In addition, three of the university’s centres would be involved: the Centre for Human Rights Research, the Mauro Centre for Peace and Justice, and the National Research Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.

Smith said the state of human rights research in Manitoba is “coming to a head” due to the Sept. 19 opening of the Museum of Human Rights in Winnipeg.

“The city of Winnipeg wants to be a centre of human rights research in Canada,” Desmarais said.

Karen Busby, academic director of the University of Manitoba Centre for Human Rights Research, called the cross-faculty, interdisciplinary nature of the program a strength.

“[We] aim to give students the opportunity to work on what they’re interested in with the option of following either an academic or professional stream,” Busby said.

Desmarais said this gives students the option to do either a practicum-based or thesis-based degree.

The practicum would involve working in a human-rights related organization, either in Canada or abroad, and then writing a research paper based on that practicum experience.

Though the idea had been talked about previously, Desmarais and Busby said they started to talk seriously about developing a master’s program in human rights about a year ago when Desmarais joined the university.

“With the opening of the museum and the city’s commitment to human rights, it just seemed like the right moment to go forward with a proposal,” Desmarais said.

She added the group of faculty members who are developing the proposal are working to make it adaptable to students’ needs.

She said she believes it will be an “exciting and vibrant program” and that it will draw both Canadian and international students to create an “interesting and dynamic” experience.

Smith said the approval process for the program begins in 2015.