How to survive isolation without becoming a couch-potato [graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi].

In our everyday life, we often don’t think twice about where we go, what we do and how that affects our health. Sprinting from the O-Train to Southam Hall — with a backpack full of books in five minutes flat — may qualify you to be an Olympic athlete, varsity runner or at the very least, justify a big lunch!

In all honesty, when was the last time you had to sprint anywhere ever since the rise of the COVID-19 pandemic? You may be noticing a rise in your Uber Eats bills, step decreases and dust-collecting sneakers.

Fear not fellow readers! Here are some simple tips, tricks and ideas that will keep you happy, healthy and busy for these uncertain days.

Hitting the “gym”

Some of you may be trying to forget the word you just read, others may be reading this on a spin bike — but working out is simply the most effective way to stay healthy.

Exercise can be as easy as slipping on a pair of running shoes or hitting the home bench press for a sweaty workout. A Harvard Health study from 2009 mentions a rough daily guide to keep healthy for those searching for a bare minimum.

The study recommends that “able-bodied adults […] do moderate-intensity exercise (such as brisk walking) for at least 30 minutes on five days each week or intense aerobic exercise (such as running) for at least 20 minutes three days each week.”

Taking advantage of this can significantly aid in attaining your step goals, and actively maintaining a fitness routine is one way to make sure you’re getting enough exercise. 

Sports and hobbies

We do not all need to go for fitness-focused activities to stay trim, some hobbies and sports just happen to have fitness built into them. With that in mind, why not give something new a try?

With all this time we have at home, it may be time to show the world your sporty side by exercising with friends and family (at an appropriate distance). Some safe options to consider might be soccer, street hockey or bike rides around your neighbourhood. 

Give outdoor running a try and aim to tackle your first 5K. This has been a personal favourite of mine — don’t get me wrong, it is certainly tough at first, but with consistency and small weekly goals, it is very attainable. After a while, this simple motion of running will strengthen your cardio, core, and legs considerably in addition to providing a good escape for your mind — some may see it as meditation.

I have also picked up longboarding and I’ve enjoyed cruising around town enjoying the scenery. This hobby does a decent job of keeping up my cardio as well as leg and core strength. 

These hobbies can also include activities rather than manual transport. Take breadmaking, for example, take 20 minutes to knead some dough and your core, arms, and back will thank you for it — not to mention your diet. Go for a hike and immerse yourself in the wilderness around you. 

Work and manual labour 

This is great for those out there who are hands-on individuals and don’t shy away from getting their hands a bit dirty. 

Look for things to build, clean, paint, drive, lift, et cetera, it’s as easy as that! Does your fence need a new coat of paint? Lawn need trimming? Washrooms need cleaning? This can be a very rewarding and satisfying experience that allows you to get big house projects out of the way while giving you a good workout. 

I know some of you are reading this thinking that those things sound terrible, but let me put it in terms of paychecks. Offering your services for manual labour around your community is not only hard work and a good deed, but it can also act as a side hustle for some. This may be a bit easier if you live in a small community where you can advertise door to door or put up flyers for your work. I can say from experience that finding employment is easy when you are offering to weed someone’s lawn!

Fitness doesn’t have to be limited

It’s important to understand that although we may be limited to the places we can be and things we can do, that doesn’t mean our physical and mental health needs to be limited as well. We all live our lives differently, so there is no scientific formula to keep your mind and body in perfect shape like an Olympic athlete. As long as you keep your rear off that couch and keep yourself busy physically and mentally, you’re well on your way to staying healthy!

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.