A new bachelor of health sciences has been approved by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and will begin classes in September 2014.

The program has been designed to cover a broad range of health-related topics to help students adapt in a broadening medical industry, and to compete with a growing number of professionals entering the medical field, according to Carleton’s website.

The program will have 25-30 courses, with concentrations in biomedical science, environment and health, global health, health throughout the lifespan, and disability and chronic illness, according to Susan Aitken, director of Carleton’s graduate Health: Science, Technology, and Policy program.

One concentration, disability and chronic illness, is unique to Carleton, according to the website. It will examine the physiological and psychosocial bases of disability and chronic illness.

Aiken said another aspect of the program will be an increased focus on collaboration between disciplines. She said students will be able to customize their learning by studying two concentrations.

Malcom Butler, dean of the Faculty of Science, said the program plans to admit 100 students, with an entrance average of 80 per cent.

The new program will go into the Herzberg Laboratories, according to Butler.