During the school year, we become so preoccupied with polishing our GPAs that we often overlook our health and well-being.

Luckily, now is the perfect time to recharge our batteries and check off the items on our dormant to-do list. Even if you’re enrolled in summer school, sneaking some time away from the books to enjoy the sunshine is a decision you won’t regret.

Here are a few tips to help boost your well-being this summer season.

Take a trip

The Beatles might disagree but sometimes all you need is a change of scenery.

A trip doesn’t have to be long or expensive—it could be a short day trip to Montreal or Gatineau Park. Take a trip that accommodates your time and budget.

Two hours south of Ottawa brings you to the Kingston Penitentiary, which offers tours of the building that once housed some of the country’s most notorious criminals. 

If you prefer something a little less intense, café hopping in Montreal’s Vieux Port is also a marvellous idea. If you’re longing for a bit of luxury and relaxation, treat yourself to a day of baths and facials at Nordic Spa which is just a short drive from Gatineau Park.  

Stock up on vitamin D

Replenish your vitamin D supply by stepping outside and absorbing all the sunlight you can find.

According to researcher Caoimhe Twohig-Bennett, spending time in the great outdoors is linked to tremendous health benefits, including lowered risk of chronic health conditions like diabetes and hypertension.  

Discover a few of Ottawa’s hiking trails and bring along some bird seeds to entice the adorable chickadees.

Gardeningoften misconceived as a seniors-only pastimeis another great way to get outdoors.

If this isn’t possible where you live, why not find a community garden nearby? You can save a couple of dollars by growing some of your own food and make a few friends along the way (should you wish).

And if you’re seeking your inner zen, there are several wellness retreats that often incorporate outdoor activities.

Spending time outdoors can also be integrated into your exercise routine. It doesn’t get better than jogging or biking along the canal at sunset, or playing a game or two of beach volleyball with a group of friends.

Unleash your inner creativity

The unfortunate reality is that school often suppresses our creativity. We are obligated to follow strict rubrics that don’t necessarily encourage colouring outside the lines.

Finding a creative outlet, whatever it may be, can relieve some undue stress while helping uncover any hidden talents you may be carrying.

The relatively recent surge of adult colouring books is a prime example. These books encourage adults to achieve a state of tranquility by filtering out negativity and focusing on the unique blend of colours before them. Why not give them a try?

Across the city, there are also various events and workshops ranging from painting and soap-making to cooking and poetry writing. Choose something that interests youor try them alland maybe you’ll unearth a new lifelong hobby.

Learn for interest’s sake

When was the last time you had a chance to read a book that was not mandated by a class syllabus?

Whether it be the magic of black holes, the various species of Ontarian butterflies, or the history of ice cream, we all have things outside our respective programs that we’re interested inbut we don’t always have the time to indulge in these interests.

It’s important to set aside some “you” time and plunge into the sea of knowledge that exists outside campus walls.

This summer, let’s create a personalized syllabus that enjoys some flexibility but encourages continual growth and productivity.