There’s nothing like the feeling after a good workout—especially when you fought yourself all the way to the gym. Choosing between Netflix and hitting the weights isn’t always an easy decision.

If you’re like me, the hardest part of staying fit is being consistent. 

I tend to start off the school year with the intention of sticking to a weekly workout plan. I like to think I’ll go for a run three times a week, hit the weights, and stretch after every workout. 

The busyness of life and school always gets in the way of maintaining this dream workout plan. But does it have to? 

The truth is, if you really want to do something, you’ll find the time to fit it into your schedule—no matter how busy you are. The reason I don’t maintain the workout plan I conjure up in early September is because I get tired of hopping on the treadmill. I get bored of doing the same weight machine. My visits to the gym start to feel repetitive and they lack creativity. 

I enjoy being active. I want my workouts to make me happy.  

If you hate going to the gym, you’re not alone! If you feel like you’ve made one too many strides on the elliptical, know it doesn’t have to be this way.

Once I came to university I starting exploring new and interesting workouts. I tried circus classes, rock climbing, and freerunning—a sport involving flips and tricks over obstacles.

Trying these fun alternatives to the gym have made working out seem like less of a chore. My attempts at these new types of workouts were embarrassing at times, but it was fun and I found myself looking forward to the next challenge.  

I still go to the gym. I still run and lift weights, but now I’m doing it to ready my body for another more interesting physical activity.

If you find a sport you love, chances are you’ll be motivated to stay healthy and active so you can keep doing it, and keep doing it better.

When you have a goal in mind, working out is something you want to do, not something you have to do. And if you aren’t used to being active, know you don’t have to be a star athlete to try a fun, new sport.

It’s important to challenge yourself physically, but remember the end goal is to be healthy and happy.

It might be nerve-wracking to try something other than what you’re used to, but your body (and your brain) will thank you.