As we approach the end of second semester, the caffeine crave is REAL. With assignments and final exam preparations in the works, it can be tricky to stay on top of things. Throw in a social life, gym time and a job, and the days can be a real drain on your body.

Despite being raised by a family of avid coffee drinkers, I never developed a deep appreciation for the drink. Whether you’re like me, and are not a huge fan of coffee, or if you’re the opposite, and are looking for ways to give coffee the boot, check out the following alternatives—they’ll give you less coffee-breath, but the same guaranteed energy boosts.  

1. Awake chocolate

This product is really neat, and it works well. It’s edible caffeine in the form of chocolate—um, yes please! The caffeine is infused with milk chocolate, giving the tasty treat an even higher energy kick then chocolate would normally have. What’s even cooler is that it’s a Canadian company, based in Vancouver. You can find Awake at Walmart, most gas stations, and even in Henry’s on campus—it usually costs about two dollars a bar.  

1. David’s Tea

David’s Tea is one of my favourite places to stop. It’s full of products to suit every tea-drinker alike. David’s is great because there is so much variety on the caffeine scale too. Contrary to what some might believe, some teas contains even more caffeine than coffee! At David’s, teas contain between two per cent  and four per cent caffeine. Live Wire Lemon, Jumpy Monkey and The Buzz are all great choices for those of you who are looking for an extra boost to get through a busy day.

1. Coconuts

Let’s be honest—what are coconuts NOT good for? Not only are coconuts uber helpful in keeping your skin and hair healthy while also boosting your metabolism, they’re also a great natural source for quick energy that is proven to enhance both physical and athletic performance. Most grocery stores sell whole and pre-sliced coconuts as well as coconut water—Loblaw’s sells a great coconut water brand called O.N.E. If you’re not crazy about the taste of coconut, O.N.E also has waters that contain a mix of flavours like mango, pineapple, wild orange and tropical colada.

1. Nuts

Cashews and almonds are some of the best foods for your brain. They both aid in “de-fogging” and improve mental clarity by boosting magnesium levels and increasing blood flow to the brain. Phenylalanine—found in almonds—is amazing for your mental health, and is known to help boost moods. Bonus, almonds are also proven great for memory function. Next time you’re in Bulk Barn, pick up a few handfuls of either nut. They’re a great little snack for on-the-go, and you’ll be feeling healthier and more energized in no time!

1. Half and Half (not the cream kind)

Like I said, I try not to drink coffee much, but some days when my body is craving it I force myself to compromise. I love getting a half-coffee/half-hot chocolate drink. This is kind of like a mocha, minus the whipped cream and other sugary toppings (yay for health)! Though it’s not a drink officially listed on any coffee shop’s menu, I’ve never encountered a problem getting one made.

– Photo illustration by Meagan Casalino