Graphic by Christophe Young.

The University of Waterloo is offering a Harry Potter-themed English course, which tasks students to study all seven novels in the franchise in order to better understand the series’ literary magic.

The course was created by Neil Randall, an English professor with an interest in fantasy novels.

“I wouldn’t be teaching it if I didn’t admire it deeply and love reading it repeatedly,” Randall said in an email.

The course evaluates students with two tests, a 2,000 word essay, and a cumulative creative assignment that allows students to express their analyses in whichever medium they see fit. The tests ensure students are actively reading every Harry Potter book – which is a mandatory requirement of the class – rather than just watching the films, according to the course syllabus.

Randall said he is captivated by the great cultural phenomenon of J. K. Rowling’s famous series; nearly every release conjured huge lines outside of stores.

“Many students, from all disciplines, have an interest in studying literature, but they would like to do so by immersing themselves in works that matter the most to them,” Randall said.

Karolina Kayko, one of 90 students taking the course this summer, said the discussions around the books have been interesting.

“I haven’t studied any books in class since high school, so it’s interesting to do it again,” she said.

Kayko said lectures have so far been based on character development, plot points, symbolism and other literary devices while class discussions tend to spiral into tangents.

“Several people ganged up on Harry and said he was a bad friend and didn’t really do much in the series, which was pretty funny to hear,” Kayko said.

For some students, the enchantment occasionally seems to wear off.

Fourth-year electrical engineering student Connie Chen said the class has been “mostly interesting,” though she noted some of the discussions are “really dry, especially when the [professor] just goes over the plot of the books.”

Chen said she took Popular Potter because she wanted a fun elective and a different atmosphere from engineering. Despite some of the class discussions, she says she likes learning more about Harry Potter in an academic light.

“If you’re into English and reading, it’s definitely a fun course,” Chen said.

Randall said the class will run again in the Fall semester, and expects other English professors to continue the course at the university in future years.