The debate between freedom of expression and respecting cultures cropped up at some university Halloween parties this year.

The Brock University Students’ Union (BUSU) put out a protocol for their annual Halloween party at Isaac’s Bar & Grill, banning costumes relating to certain cultures to prevent offensive representations.

The BUSU “Halloween Costume Vetting Protocol” prohibited geishas, thobes, religious or traditional headdresses, bindis, blackface, Day of the Dead make-up, and Caitlyn Jenner costumes, according to BUSU’s website.

“It’s a matter of paying respect to the stories and experiences of marginalized groups who are depicted in these costumes,” the BUSU website read.

Laura Hughes, Brock’s Student Justice Centre supervisor, declined to comment due to the “high amount of media interview requests.”

Headdresses were banned at two Ontario festivals and one in Alberta in the summer of 2015, creating a major public debate about cultural appropriation.

The headdress or war bonnet is traditionally worn by male leaders of Plains Indigenous nations who have earned a place of great respect in their community.

Ashley Courchene, the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) vice president (student services), who is Anishnaabe, said he thinks it is tiring to see people who aren’t part of a culture wear their clothing.

“Not even Indigenous people get to wear it freely,” Courchene said.

He said he thinks Brock’s policy is a good step for those who want to become aware and cognizant of this issue.

Hughes told CBC that most students at Brock University are on board with the protocol but the BUSU has faced some criticism from people of older generations.

Patrick Peori, a second-year Carleton journalism student, said he thinks these kinds of protocols are a slippery slope towards violating freedom of expression.

“Halloween is about a time of fun and I don’t think we should be worrying about others getting offended because of the costume we are wearing,” he said.

Courchene said that people are free to express themselves in any other way, and costumes should not be worn at the expense of others.

Bindis were also on the list of banned items at Brock’s annual Halloween bash. The bindi is a red dot worn on the center of the forehead, commonly by Hindu and Jain women, which has religious and spiritual significance.

Tanya Kunwar, a third-year Carleton health science and psychology student, said she thinks the BUSU did “an amazing thing.”

Kunwar said she is from a South Asian background and often sees people dressing up with bindis and other things that are religious and considered sacred.

“I find it’s almost like a joke,” she said.

However, Peori said that the only time it’s appropriate to wear a Halloween costume is on Halloween.

“Any other time, I can understand how some people may get offended, but on Halloween I think we should just all be light hearted,” he said.

Courchene said putting out a protocol similar to the BUSU is something that CUSA should have thought about. He said maybe a similar protocol or even a simple announcement can be done in the following years.

The Student Justice Centre at Brock also developed a guide based on yes-or-no questions to help inform students as to what is deemed offensive and what is appropriate.

The bottom of the guide reads, “check yourself and your friends, you wear that costume for one night, but others wear that stigma for life.”

Courchene said he dressed up as Negan from The Walking Dead for Halloween.

“I had fun in Halloween, but I didn’t do it at the expense of people’s culture,” he said.