Four suicides by students at the University of Guelph (U of G) have their peers petitioning to do more to “prevent these tragedies.”

The U of G has lost four students to suicide since the start of the fall 2016 semester, causing the community to advocate for additional attention and resources to remedy what has been called a “mental health crisis” on campus.

Connie Ly, a former U of G student, has spoken out against the university’s handling of the suicides and has urged the institution to do more. Her call to action came in the form of an online petition titled, “Guelph: Stop Losing Students to Mental Illness.”

Within her petition, Ly wrote that she aims to achieve transparency between the student body and university administration about current mental health services. She also demanded to know of the changes the university will implement for the well-being of their students.

“It’s time for the school to do their part and prevent these tragedies,” the petition stated. “Mental illness is very real, and it is time for the school to take it seriously.”

The petition currently has over 2,500 signatures.

In response to the suicides, Brenda Whiteside, vice-president of student affairs at the U of G, said in an email that the university “will be having a broad mental health workshop with our advisory committee to review our programs and supports.”

Whiteside stated the university is “working with our student budget committee and student leaders around resources.” She added the university has put more money into early suicide warning detection training, “and other education and wellness initiatives.”

Whiteside, however, did not indicate in the email whether the university administration had seen Ly’s petition. She added that the U of G currently offers 14 counsellors and two psychiatrists available for appointments, and allows afternoon and evening walk-ins two nights a week until 10 p.m.

A U of G student and a friend of one of the students that died by suicide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said they believe the counselling services offered by the university must be “revamped.”

When asked about the U of G’s counselling locations, the student said via Facebook that they are hidden.

“They are in a place that is unseen and can be very far from some students. Many of the counsellors are very busy and booked, and the hardest part is that first step [to get help],” they said.

The student recommended that the school “try a fall reading week” to help the U of G student body.

Carleton University last experienced a student suicide in 2012. The school has had a fall reading week in place since 2013.

Patty Allen, a mental health nurse with Carleton’s Health and Counselling services, said the times of year when midterms and final exams take place “are related to times of more academic stress.”

Allen said she encourages students struggling with suicidal thoughts to talk with someone they trust, stating that “it’s helpful to share those feelings with other friends and family.”

“If you find you are feeling low, lacking energy, not attending class or social events after a week or more [of feeling grief or suicidal thoughts], then you should seek help through counselling,” Allen said.

– Photo by Angela Tilley