The Carleton Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) unanimously passed its budget for the 2018-19 fiscal year in a June 21 council meeting.

Ashley Courchene, GSA vice-president (finance), presented the $879,000 budget, which has increased from last year’s budget of $856,813.

Courchene said the budget raise resulted from more funds from increased graduate student enrolment at Carleton.

The budget includes increased funds to be used for advocacy campaigns and student grants. It also allocates $3,500 for GSA scholarships and bursaries, marking an increase from $500 this past fiscal year.

During the meeting, council also passed a motion to implement two new Indigenous graduate student grants, each worth $500. The policy for these grants will be presented during the GSA’s August council meeting.

According to Courchene, the council budgeted a total of $20,000 towards campaigns advocating for anti-Islamophobia, Indigenous solidarity, and anti-war causes.

“What we’re trying to do is increase the number of campaigns that are happening on campus, the number of events the GSA holds, and just making sure that students are well aware of the GSA, and what we have to offer in terms of resources and services,” he said in an interview.

Courchene added that the aim of the budget is to increase the GSA’s outreach in advocating for student issues and revitalizing GSA spaces, such as the graduate students’ lounge and Mike’s Place.

The projected budgeted income for Mike’s Place has decreased to $635,725 from last year’s budgeted income of $657,450.

Courchene said the council also designated funds towards the installation of a new Point of Sale system at Mike’s Place that aims to gather better analytics of sales.

He also said the GSA will be looking into physically revitalizing the space.

“We’re just really excited that we’re able to work really hard to achieve these goals. I think the budget sort of reflects that this year,” Courchene said

File photo