This past June, Carleton’s Board of Governors (BoG) appointed a new board chair, Nik Nanos, and vice-chair, Dan Fortin.

According to a Carleton press release, Nanos currently serves as the chief data scientist and founder of the Nanos Research Group of Companies.

Nanos also leads Nanos Bloomberg Canadian Confidence Index, a research organization responsible for sending data to Bloomberg about consumer confidence in the Canadian economy.

But, this is not Nanos’ first experience with the board. Before becoming chair, he served vice-chair positions on several committees—including the finance, audit, governance, and nominating committees on the board.

Fortin, the incoming vice-chair, is a retired president of IBM Canada Ltd., former chair of World Vision Canada, and currently serves as the independent director for Economical Insurance of Canada.

He is also a Carleton alumnus and has an honorary Carleton doctorate.

“Carleton continues to grow its importance and relevance as part of Canada’s leadership in global research and academic excellence,” Fortin said in the release.

“It is an exciting time to be able to contribute to the university,” he said. “It is a privilege to continue to serve on the board, and an honour to be the vice-chair for the coming term.”

Nanos and Fortin began their terms on June 1, and will be eligible for a one-year renewal when their terms end next year.