Graphic by Helen Mak.

Pizza and ramen noodles might be the stereotypical diet for first-year university students, but for those with dietary restrictions,
Carleton and restaurants in Ottawa can make the transition to university eating seamless.

The Fresh Food Company, the residence cafeteria, is more than happy to work with students with dietary needs. David Van Dyk, one of the managers of Carleton’s dining services, said communication between students and the Fresh Food Company is paramount.

“Communicate with those in red shirts,” Van Dyk said, referring to the chefs. Chefs will be able to explain what foods meet your needs and where they can be found.

“You just have to ask,” he said.

For vegans and vegetarians, there is a vegan bar near the omelette station, as well as vegetarian sushi during dinner hours and meat-free options at the pasta bar.

If you are gluten intolerant, the sandwich bar can make your sub with gluten-free bread upon request. Lactose-free milk is available in mini-fridges near the toasters.

New this year is a gluten free pantry, which is only accessible to students who cannot have gluten. The Pantry will avoid cross-contamination by isolating gluten-free foods, says Van Dyk.

Another on-campus option is Bakers, located on the fourth floor of the University Centre. The full service restaurant offers the
option of adding gluten-free toast with your breakfast, starting at $6.

As for vegetarian options near residences, 101’s Grill, found in Oasis and the food court, offers a vegetarian burger.

For those who are lactose intolerant, baristas at the two Starbucks on campus (at PageBreak and fourth floor University Centre) can
substitute soymilk for dairy for a small charge.

Off campus, The Works offers vegetarian and gluten-free options. Out of seven patty options, two are vegetarian: the Gourmet
Veggie and the Portobello Mushroom Cap. They also have an expansive gluten free menu, with gluten-free buns and 49 gluten-free
burger toppings. To get to The Works located in the Glebe, hop on the 7 St. Laurent and get off at Bank and Patterson.

For a gourmet meal that meets alternative eating needs, look no farther than the Zen Kitchen, located just off Bronson Avenue (take the 4 Rideau from campus to Bronson/Somerset). Providing gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian meals, the menu includes a variety of á la carte options.

Every incoming first year student has a lot of worries—about classes, roommates, course workloads, but between Carleton’s dining services and Ottawa’s diverse culinary options, food doesn’t have to be one of them.