The University of Ottawa Gee-Gees mounted a comeback and withstood a strong effort from Carleton University, to prevail 77-75 in the first women’s Capital Hoops Classic at TD Place. 

For Andy Sparks, Gee-Gees head coach, the win taught him about a new side of his team. 

“Just that they can get it done regardless,” he said. “We’ve had this situation happen to us a few times this year and that’s truly the fifth year experience. I think that they showed a lot of composure for sure.” 

Carleton had some good injury news heading into the game. The Ravens got Emma Kiesekamp back in the lineup after she missed three games with an ankle injury. “It’s good. It’s fine,” Kiesekamp said. “I have it taped up.” 

Ravens guard Madison Reid and forward Navneet Sandhu also played after missing the first Carleton-Ottawa game with injuries. Meanwhile, the Gee-Gees were missing Maia Timmons and Alana Renon–among others–who both played in the previous Carleton-Ottawa game. 

Back in December, the Gee-Gees won that game 66-49. This game was a lot closer. 

Senior Ravens applauded the performance from rookie Dorcas Buisa. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
“Compared to the last time we played them, this was a lot better,” Carleton guard Tatyanna Burke said. “We played more as a team. A lot of people–especially the rookies like Kali [Pocrnic] and Dorcas [Buisa] came out to play.” 

Reid led Carleton in scoring with 21 points, including hitting five of eight from beyond the arc. The Ravens got off to a strong start as Alyssa Cerino opened the scoring with a layup. Marlee Ball and Pocrnic added three pointers, leading to a Gee-Gees timeout.

Ottawa responded by scoring down low with forward Angela Ribarich but struggled with outside shooting. Meanwhile, Carleton’s offence continued to score with baskets by Ball, Reid and Burke as the Ravens took an 18-12 lead after one quarter. 

“We really struggled to guard them tonight from pretty much every position,” Sparks said. 

Both teams exchanged three pointers as Gee-Gees guard Tyra Blizzard found her shooting stroke from the outside. 

Ottawa then cut Carleton’s lead down to 26-23 after rookie Natsuki Szczokin scored five straight points. 

Both team’s fought hard for possession of the ball throughout the entire game. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
The two teams continued to exchange baskets. Ribarich added to her point total by continuing to score inside while Carleton stayed hot shooting from the outside. The Ravens took a slim 40-37 lead into halftime. 

Reid continued her success, shooting from deep with a corner three to start the third quarter. Burke added to the lead with a steal and fast break layup. 

Ribarich kept scoring down low with Cerino and Kiesekamp guarding her. “She’s so tall,” Kiesekamp said. “She doesn’t let up too. She uses her body. I started pushing out early and she keeps going and keeps going.”

The game remained close in the third quarter with Carleton pushing the pace on the fast break. Reid made a basket and scored the ensuing free throw to push Carleton’s lead to 54-38. 

However, the Gee-Gees continued to go to Ribarich down low as she added to her game-high 24 points. However, Carleton responded to Ottawa’s baskets. Carleton answered with a Cerino hook shot as they held a tight 64-59 lead entering the fourth quarter. 

Carleton continued to add to their advantage with another basket from Cerino to make it 66-59. 

Then the Gee-Gees made their run. Ottawa switched to a zone defence, holding Carleton scoreless for a stretch. 

“We didn’t execute versus the zone, simple as that,” Ravens head coach Brian Cheng said. “I don’t think it was the personnel or the tactics because our tactics don’t change. It was just our inability to sort of stay disciplined and focused down the stretch.” 

Blizzard, Ribarich, and Szcozkin all contributed to cut down the lead, before Katherine Follis’ free throw tied the game 70-70 late in the fourth. 

Gee-Gees guard Brooklynn McAlear-Fanus finished a layup on the fast break to give her team a lead as the Gee-Gees crowd exploded. The Ravens crowd responded right back a minute and a half later as Buisa hit a three to end Carleton’s offensive drought. 

Senior Raven Madison Reid lead the team in scoring with 21 points during the game. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Blizzard dumped the ball down to Ribarich with a minute left as the forward hit another hook shot to give her team a 74-73 lead. The Gee-Gees got a defensive stop before McAlear-Fanus hit two clutch free throws to extend the lead to three. 

Cerino scored a quick layup off the inbounds though Carleton was unable to force a turnover.

The Ravens had a chance to tie it with the time winding down. The ball ended up in Buisa’s hands but the rookie forward turned it over as time expired, solidifying the Gee-Gees slim victory.  

Carleton will look to cut their four-game losing streak when they welcome McMaster University to the Ravens Nest on Feb. 14.

Feature image by Spencer Colby