The University of Calgary students’ union has apologized to friends and family of five students who were murdered this spring and reversed its initial decision to deny an on-campus memorial fundraiser for the victims, according to union president Jarett Henry. 

Joshua Hunter, Kaitlin Perras, ​Jordan Segura, Lawrence Hong, and Zackariah Rathwell were fatally stabbed at a house party in the early morning of April 15, in what police have called the worst mass homicide in Calgary’s history. 

The committee within the students’ union that receives applications for renting space on campus initially declined to host the event, a concert, due to concerns it would not be financially or logistically feasible, according to a statement made by Henry on Facebook.

On July 29, the students’ union reversed its initial decision, approving the event and offering to cover costs, Henry said in his statement.

Friends of Rathwell and Hunter have been planning a memorial concert to raise money for a scholarship fund created in memory of the five students, according to the Calgary Herald.

Henry said media coverage of the jeopardized fundraiser has led to an outpouring of community support and offers to host the memorial at an even better venue.