Protestors from a trucker convoy protest are seen at a parking lot of 1500 Bronson Ave. in Ottawa, Ont. on Thursday, Feb. 10, 2022. Protestors have set up camp across the Rideau River from Carleton University and are demanding an end to all COVID-19 related restrictions and vaccination requirements in the country. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Nearly two weeks after first arriving in Ottawa, truckers protesting COVID-19 mandates are now occupying a parking lot at 1500 Bronson St. across the Ottawa River near campus.

Carleton University emailed students about the demonstration on Feb. 9.

“Some trucks and equipment involved with the ongoing demonstration in downtown Ottawa are currently located on federal government property,” read the statement. “No Carleton land or property is being used as part of the demonstrations. While at the moment, our operations have not been impacted, we are monitoring the situation very closely.”

Protestors arrived in Ottawa on Jan. 28 and have since occupied Wellington Street and roads in Ottawa’s downtown core near Parliament.

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) posted a statement disavowing the protest to Instagram on Jan. 31.

“The events we have seen over the past weekend in Ottawa have been frightening and disturbing,” CUSA stated. “Please continue to avoid the downtown area.”

Over a week later, the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) announced on its website that as of Feb. 8, it had arrested 23 demonstrators and issued 1,300 tickets related to the protest.

The next day, the OPS stated in an online “message to demonstrators” that protestors obstructing local businesses and roads will be arrested for “mischief of property.”

“Anyone blocking streets or assisting others in the blocking of streets may be committing a criminal offence,” stated the release. “You must immediately cease further unlawful activity or you may face charges.”

In its email, Carleton encouraged students impacted by demonstrations to reach out to Health and Counselling Services or email vpstudents@carleton.ca.