Glengarry res fellows Miranda Moores, Marina Tronin, and Shelisa Klassen resigned from their positions in December 2013. (File photo by Kyle Fazackerley)

Carleton residence fellows voted against unionizing with the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) 4600 after a close vote Feb. 10.

The vote showed 28 res fellows sided with unionization, while 29 decided against it, winning by only one vote. Four res fellows did not vote.

If the vote passed, the res fellows would have unionized under CUPE 4600, which currently represents contract instructors and teaching assistants on campus.

Talks of unionization emerged after Glengarry res fellows Marina Tronin, Miranda Moores, and Shelisa Klassen resigned from their positions in December 2013.

They spoke out about what they said were unsafe working conditions, a lack of administrative support, and instances of harassment from a male co-worker who was suspended from his duties October 2013.

CUPE 4600 supported Tronin, Klassen, and Moores, but CUPE National withdrew their support of the res fellow’s unionization, according to Tronin.

CUPE National president Paul Moist, however, described their withdrawn support as a “communication error,” granting the res fellows full rights to unionize.

In order to vote to unionize, Tronin, Klassen, and Moores needed the support from res fellows in the form of signing union cards before they could move forward.

Fifty-one per cent of res fellows signed union cards in three days in November 2013. Signing union cards meant res fellows wanted to vote on unionization and did not signify support for or against unionization.

Tronin said she and the other former res fellows are not surprised by the decision not to unionize.

“We’re very disappointed. We put a lot of hard work into this,” Tronin said.

Tronin said she is upset because she thought unionization was the best way to get protection for workers, but said she is optimistic going forward.

“I think a pretty strong message has been sent that half the workers think [unionization] is a good idea, and hopefully I think, housing does something about it,” Tronin said.

CUPE 4600 president James Meades said he was saddened by the outcome of the votes, but appreciates the democratic approach to the decision.

“This is a decision made for res fellows by res fellows and we respect that,” Meades said.

Carleton public affairs manager Beth Gorham declined to comment.

Under Ontario labour law, the res fellows must wait a year before they can call another certification for unionization if they wish to reconsider.

Tronin said there might be a possibility she stays in touch with CUPE 4600 next year when a re-vote can be called, despite the fact she is graduating.

She also explored the possibility of someone else taking over the res fellows unionization issue.

“There are a lot of issues going on here that are not addressed yet,” Tronin said.