A former student at Queen’s University is suing the school for $950,000 for insufficient action taken with her sexual assault case.

The student, whose name has been protected through a publication ban, is suing Queen’s because the school didn’t have a set sexual violence policy during the time of the alleged sexual assaults by two defendants, according to the Globe and Mail. 

She also claims that the university is responsible because the students who allegedly committed the assaults were part of the Residence Society of Queen’s, a student government organization on campus.

This will not be the first time a female student has sued a university for neglecting to help after reporting a sexual assault. Jane Doe, an alias to protect her real name, sued Carleton University for failing to provide adequate security for her in 2009 for $500,000, according to the CBC. 

According to an article from the Queen’s Journal quoting a statement of defence from Queen’s administration, the University responded to these allegations by stating they should not be responsible for student groups on campus. The statement also indicates Queen’s believes university officials took “reasonable measures” to respond to the assault allegations.

Currently, Queen’s Sexual Violence Prevention and Response page on their website, says Queen’s is committed to sexual violence victims.

“All persons who disclose an experience of sexual violence can expect to be treated with compassion, dignity and respect . . . provided with accommodations as appropriate,” the website said.

Mark Erdman, acting director of media relations and issues at Queen’s, said in an email that the university does not have anything more to say about the case, as it remains before the courts.

“Due to privacy considerations, we will not comment about specific individuals, cases before the courts, or the outcomes of such matters,” he said.  “We can say that there is no tolerance for sexual violence in our community; when it is reported, we take it seriously.”

If you’ve been a victim of sexual violence, contact:

On-campus

Campus Safety: 613-520-4444

Sexual Assault Support Services:  613-520-5622

Off-campus:

Emergencies: 911

24-hour crisis line: 613-562-2333