Robert Thirsk, a renowned Canadian astronaut, was sworn in as the 13th Chancellor of the University of Calgary (U of C) on Nov. 10.

The university senate unanimously elected Thirsk on May 7, and he began his four-year term in July.

Thirsk, whose career has included being an engineer, an astronaut, and a doctor, said U of C chose him, not the other way around.

“Earlier this year I received a phone call from the co-chair of the university senate that I had been nominated by the university community to take on this role as the incumbent chancellor neared the end of his four year term,” Thirsk said. “I was surprised and honoured.”

“I enthusiastically accepted and took on the chancellor role as the position provides me an opportunity to give back to my home city and home university,” Thirsk said. “The role takes me outside of my comfort zone, to an adventurous space where the most significant achievements are usually accomplished.”

Thirsk graduated from U of C in 1976 with a bachelor of science in mechanical engineering. He said his experiences as a student were “formative” for him.

He currently holds the Canadian record for most time spent in space (204 days and 18 hours), and longest space flight (187 days and 20 hours). He has conducted research on topics including the effects of weightlessness on the heart and blood vessels.

“Engineering is a challenging undergraduate program to pursue but special friendships were formed amongst my 30 mechanical engineering classmates,” he said. “We helped each other get through. This friendship has endured now over four decades.”

“My classmates and I have established an endowment that provides two annual scholarships to third-year mechanical engineering students,” Thirsk added. “It is our way of recognizing the impact that the University of Calgary has made on each of our careers and of our desire to give back to society.”

Thirsk said one specific professor gave him some useful career advice that has stuck with him, suggesting he combine his mechanical engineering degree with a medical school degree.

“His advice made all the difference for me as an astronaut,” Thirsk said.

According to Thirsk, the role of chancellor is traditionally ceremonial, an official who presides over convocation and hands degrees to students at graduation. However, at U of C, the chancellor also has the functional role of chairing the senate, which is composed of community members and “functions as the connection or bridge between the University and its communities.”

“I would like to strengthen the relationship between the University of Calgary and all of our stakeholders,” Thirsk said of his future plans. “I would like to strengthen the various connections that the University has . . . but I am also an astronaut, and would like to bring my unique space flight perspective to the University of Calgary. As an astronaut, all of my achievements have been accomplished as a member of incredible teams.”

“In a sense, a university is like a space agency,” he said. “It has objectives that can only be accomplished through teamwork and interdisciplinary collaboration. Over the next four years as chancellor, I intend to profile high-achieving research and learning teams at the university and extend their stories of their collaboration.”

Thirsk said the secret to achieving professional goals is a “deep, broad education.”

“The currency of trade for 21st century Canada is education. Career dreams are not achieved by wishing on a star,” Thirsk said.