Ontario Premier Doug Ford and his Conservative government has cancelled funding for three new university campuses which were to be built in the Greater Toronto Area.

The satellite campuses were set to be opened in 2021 and 2022, and were meant to hold 8,000 students all together.

The three campuses were to be located in Markham, Milton, and Brampton.

York University, Wilfrid Laurier University, and Ryerson University partnered up with Seneca College, Conestoga College, and Sheridan College, respectively, to build each of these campuses.

The decision was made, according to a statement by Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities, based on a review of the province’s finances.

The review found that the budget for these projects was allegedly double what the previous Liberal government had, at a total of $15 billion dollars.

The cuts total around $305 million in funding promised by the previous Liberal government.

Construction work on the campuses has already begun, which throws into question the progress that has been made, but the province has promised to work with the school in settling any termination costs for building contracts that cannot be fulfilled, and will look into assisting with reasonable wind-down costs.

There is still a possibility that the campuses will continue to be worked on, with the government potentially looking into other options.

“Our government would be willing to consider a business case for how these projects may proceed in the absence of provincial capital funding,” Stephanie Rae, a spokesperson for the office of the Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities, said.

Rhonda Lenton, president and vice-chancellor at York University, and David Agnew, president at Seneca College, said in a statement that the $252-million project was already well underway with the design and development stage already completed, and construction set to begin this fall.

Lenton and Agnew said they are committed to working with all parties to determine “if there is a path forward that will still meet the postsecondary education needs of York Region and its residents.”

The Premier did not say whether or not  his government will halt the free tuition program introduced by the former Liberal government to students from low-income families.