Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

There will be a three per cent price increase for all food sold on campus, except for items sold by student association businesses, according to assistant vice-president (university services) Ed Kane.

The food outlets on campus experiencing the higher prices are those operated by Aramark Canada, Carleton’s main food service provider, according to Kane.

“The increases reflect the rise in food costs, wages, transportation, capital improvements, and utilities,” he said in an email. “We attempt to minimize any increase whenever possible and only request a price change once per year.”

The price for items at many of the chains on campus, such as Subway and Starbucks, will only increase as per the franchise agreements. The prices at these outlets reflect those set nationally and are at the same level as off-campus stores, Kane said.

Businesses operated by the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA), such as Rooster’s and Oliver’s Pub, will not be experiencing a significant increase in the price of their food, according to CUSA president Folarin Odunayo.

In 2012, prices at Oliver’s and Rooster’s increased three to five per cent for food, while Oliver’s saw an increase of 25 per cent for beer prices.

There are many services on campus to help students on a tight budget who may be struggling to get the food they need, Odunayo said.

“CUSA operates a food bank, which I think is a valuable resource and I personally think it’s under utilized,” he said.
The food bank is able to provide students with groceries once a week and is located within the Carleton Food Centre office at 401 University Centre.

“We’re also investigating cheaper food options by putting fresh food in Henry’s,” he said.

“Last year we installed a fridge that has grab-and-go sandwiches that are less costly than other places on campus,” he added.

Odunayo said the food options at Henry’s will increase this year, with more choices in sandwiches and potentially other foods, such as hotdogs.

“If students are not happy with the price of food at Aramark businesses they can certainly come to Roosters or Ollie’s,” Odunayo said. “We’d be happy to get them some food.”