New Carleton students already have a full plate with making new friends, getting organized for class, and exploring campus. Knowing where to fuel up at school shouldn’t add more stress to the table. There are plenty of options for the ravenous Raven, whether you’re on a budget, trying to make healthier choices, or simply hem hem . . . woozy from all the frosh activities.

Affectionately known as the ‘caf,’ the Fresh Food Company is often a residence go-to for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you aren’t registered for a meal plan (or if you have exceeded your weekly meal limit) there is an affordable drop-in option so anyone can enjoy the extensive menu at the buffet-style eatery. Burgers, salads, soups, sandwiches, international dishes, traditional breakfast, dessert, anything a hungry student could want (I highly recommend the made-to-order omelettes).

Completely nut free, the caf offers vegan, vegetarian, celiac, halal, and kosher options and is looking into expanding its gluten-free menu. And with a team of award-winning gourmet chefs at the helm, fresh new items with a focus on local and organic ingredients are added all the time. During the school year the caf is open all day, and the friendly staff will help with any questions or dietary restrictions.

If you feel like a change in scenery and flavours, Mike’s Place is a hidden gem. Tucked away on the second floor of the University Centre, their flavourful curries, samosas, and range of eclectic appetizers are surpassed only by the laid-back atmosphere and personable service. But remember, Mike’s is a bar, so bring your ID to purchase any beer, wine, or alcohol.

When saddled with the inevitable long-haul study days in the library, grab a quick and healthy bite at Loeb Café. Choose from a variety of salads, sandwiches, pizzas, snacks, and drinks. Need a gluten-free crust or a halal breaded chicken breast burger? Just call 10 minutes ahead of time and the staff will set you up.

For a taste of campus gourmet, stop in at Baker’s on fourth floor Unicentre. Not many students know about the sit-down breakfast and lunch restaurant, but it’s well worth setting your alarm half an hour early for their $6 breakfasts. You’ll get a hearty serving of choices like pancakes or waffles, sausages or bacon, fresh fruit, Starbucks coffee, and eggs the way you like them, all served up quickly so you’ll make it to your class on time.

Running a little behind schedule one morning? Skip the line at Tim Hortons and get your coffee and breakfast bagel from Rooster’s instead—your breakfast is 20 per cent cheaper if you buy before 10 a.m.

Visit the dining services page on the Carleton website for hours and a full list of dining locations.