Home Blog Food and Drink Blog: Why you should spend $60 on your next...

Food and Drink Blog: Why you should spend $60 on your next trip to the LCBO

81

There’s an impending feeling of doom that hits when you step into the checkout line at the LCBO with a bottle that you have no business buying. For a purchase like alcohol, there really has to be a balance between what you spend and what you’re getting out of it.

The temptation runs high to spend your hard-earned money on a couple bottles of the cheap stuff. A lot can be said for a case of light beer or bathtub gin. Sometimes it’s enough to make you put that bottle of top shelf whiskey down and opt for something that won’t hurt your wallet.

I implore you to reconsider that decision.

The finer things in life are there for a reason—for you to enjoy them. When taken in moderation, these liquors can be enjoyed. Like a Pink Floyd record, they’re not ideal for a wild party, but perfect for a quiet night in. Even though budgeting can be difficult, maybe once a year, set aside $60 for a luxury drink.

You won’t regret it.

High-quality spirits are meant to be sipped and savoured. Stash a bottle away and bring it out every so often. They’re best when served neat or on the rocks.

Here are some of my suggestions, for those just getting into fine spirits:

Johnnie Walker: Black Label is a classic scotch and is sold at the LCBO ($54.95 for a 750ml). It’s the big brother of Johnnie Walker’s Red Label and is great for drinkers first experiencing fine whiskey. It does not take long to get used to its distinct taste which is smoky, but not overpowering.

If you have a bit of an aristocratic streak, there is Conjure Cognac, ($61.45 for 750ml) which is brandy blended in the Cognac region of France. It is best sipped late at night, after dinner. The LCBO website states that this has caramel and citrus flavours with a warm, smooth finish. While the drinks correspondents have not tried this yet, it is on our Christmas wish list.

My final recommendation is Pyrat XO Reserve rum ($50.20 for 750 ml). While rum and Coca-Cola may be one of the classic mixed drinks, this rum is sturdy enough to stand on its own. This particular rum comes from Guyana and has a “luxurious aroma of toffee, marzipan, candied fruit and sarsaparilla” according to the LCBO. This would  work perfectly as a dessert drink served with fruit, a reminder of the beach during the dead of winter.

While these may not be ideal for a wild Friday night, rest assured that these spirits will still satisfy, like good conversation with an old friend.