Oliver’s is bustling. Not quite knocking elbows, but there is a steady stream of people moving through the double doors, greeting friends, looking for a vantage point to watch the game, or scanning the bar for the right pint to sum up their Wednesday afternoon. I walk in and order two glasses of Ravens’ Ale. I look down the bar, and see I’m not the first to order it.

Ravens’ Ale, a domestic pale ale licensed by Molson Coors, is ready to drink no matter the situation. It has a nuanced yet easy-going flavour that can be had with or without lunch. Today, I’m opting for it.

The beer itself is light, but has a malty drone that doesn’t fade. There is a perceptible bitter-sweetness, but if you let it rest on your tongue a while, the malt overpowers the yeasty nature. It pulls you back in for another sip. 

There is a way in which the malted grains work with the briny saltiness of fries that has me think back to my time in England, where chips and a pint are the standard. Man City failing to get a goal past Everton even made me question my whereabouts for a minute.

Truth is, there really isn’t much to this beer in terms of abounding flavour. And I like that. Before you accuse me of trumping up the Carleton University Students’ Association’s (CUSA) latest business strategy, let me tell you why.

Sure, it’s a standard domestic. Were you looking for craft? Well, that wasn’t the point. Oliver’s Pub has the run-of-the-mill collection of aromatic alcohols and even some stand-out mixed drinks, but you’ll notice they aren’t sporting any ABC concoctions or Flying Monkey. Many students, though, aren’t looking for anything too experimental.

I talk to Craig Handy, CUSA’s vice-president (finance) behind the beer. He was motivated by the University of British Columbia’s Thunderbird brew, and knew that Carleton would appreciate it’s own avian-inspired beverage. It may be light and lacks any real pull, but this drink can be matched with any item on the menu and works as a stand-alone when classes are over for the day. Also, at $5.50 a glass, it’s the cheapest on tap, which might be the strongest selling point to students.

While Ravens’ Ale won’t be winning any awards, Carleton will be, and you can be sure what the beer of choice at the after-party is going to be.