(Photo by Willie Carroll)

I’ve been vegan for three years, and although my cooking skills have improved quite a bit, I’m still pretty terrible at cooking and I’m very lazy about food. What’s nice about veganism though, is that you can be lazy and still eat healthy, delicious meals. These are a couple of my favourite things to make. I hope you enjoy!

Peanut butter banana granola cookies 

My favourite thing to make when I have cupboards full of various seeds and nuts are granola cookies. I’ve used a ton of different recipes since I went vegan and I don’t have any one favourite, so I’ve basically just gotten to the point where I throw in anything and everything I have.

What I like about this recipe is that you can use pretty much any ingredients you want and you can make them really healthy and filling.

Ingredients:

1 cup granola
2 ripe bananas
1 tbsp walnut halves
1 tbsp almond slivers
1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
1 tbsp all natural, unsweetened peanut butter

1.) Preheat the oven to 350°C.

2.) Mix the cup of granola with the bananas.

3.) Add in the nuts.

4.) Next, add the maple syrup for added sweetness, if desired.

5.) Finally, add peanut butter to the mixture.

6.) Form the mix into cookie shapes and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

The nuts and peanut butter are completely optional. Sometimes I’ll add in pumpkin seeds or different nuts, leaving out the peanut butter entirely. The main ingredients that you don’t want to skip are the granola and bananas.

In vegan baking, bananas can often be used as an egg replacer, and they can really add to the flavour. Some other alternatives used in vegan baking include apple sauce or flaxseed mixed with a little bit of water.

The granola cookie is a stereotypical vegan treat, I know, but they really can be tasty, especially if you throw in some vegan dark chocolate chips.

The tempeh “BLT”

This is one of my favourite dishes to make and eat. It is so simple, cheap, and easy to pack as a lunch.

Many vegan restaurants I’ve been to all over North America have a “BLT” just like this and I’ve been inspired by these restaurants and cafés to make my own at home. I cannot think of a better sandwich to bring when I’m on the go.

Ingredients:

2 slices of bread
1 tbsp of Follow Your Heart vegenaise
3 or 4 pieces of smokey maple bacon marinated tempeh by Turtle Island Foods.
Slices of tomato
A handful of greens (I use romaine lettuce)
1 or 2 teaspoons of oil

1.)  Start by frying the tempeh in a frying pan on medium heat until both sides are darkened and crispy. I usually make the whole package of the tempeh at a time and wrap it up and put it in the fridge so I can have a “BLT” all week.

2.)  While you’re doing that, cut up your tomato into slices and tear up your lettuce or other greens.

3.)  Toast the bread for a couple of minutes and spread the vegenaise on it. The vegenaise, as well as the tempeh, can be found in the organic section at any Loblaws or Independent or any of Ottawa’s natural food shops, such as the Herb and Spice.

4.)  Now pile on 3 or 4 pieces of tempeh the toast and as much lettuce and tomato as you’d like.

You can eat the “BLT” right away or put it in the fridge for a few hours – the tempeh tastes good hot or cold.

@AliAliAliP