Spring is coming, and it’s almost time to break out the grill again. Why not make some burgers with a twist?

Quinoa has been in the culinary spotlight lately as a superfood. Many people have started using quinoa as an alternative to rice as a more protein-laden side dish, but there’s so much more you can do with it. These burgers are a great example.

Seldom does a great dish come along that’s also inexpensive, easy to make, makes a big batch, and keeps well. These burgers fit all these elements. As another bonus, they can be customized to fit almost any diet, including vegetarian or vegan.

For those who aren’t big fans of vegetables, this is a great way to sneak them in. Pick and choose what you like best, or at least what you have in your fridge, and run with it.

Protein and veggie packed, these burgers are healthy and filling. This recipe makes a big batch so you can take some to school the next day.

Quinoa burgers
Makes about 12-14 burgers, depending on size.

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked quinoa
3-4 tbsps. all-purpose flour (can be exchanged for gluten-free flour)
2 eggs
3/4 cup shredded cheese (can be omitted, but I highly recommend using it. If you’re vegan, throw in some Daiya shreds or another cheese substitute)
1/2 lb. ground beef or pork (for vegans, you can use meat substitute or even 1 can of chickpeas, blended)
2 tbsps. sour cream (optional)
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

Customizable veggies:

shredded carrots
chopped, wilted baby spinach
diced mushrooms
chopped green onions
chopped and wilted kale, Swiss chard, or any leafy green.

Method:

1.) Preheat your grill or oven. Make sure grill is well oiled, so the burgers don’t stick. If using an oven, preheat to 400 F.

2.) Boil 2 cups of water in a pot for the quinoa. Once it’s boiling, throw in the quinoa and let it cook for 15-17 minutes on low. Once all the water is absorbed, it’s done. Let it cool slightly. Season quinoa with salt and pepper.

3.) While that’s cooking, throw your optional ground pork in a pan and let it brown. Once it’s done, take it off the heat and give it time to cool, same as the quinoa. Season the meat while it’s cooking.

4.) While they’re cooking, shred or chop your veggies.

5.) Next, grate your cheese.

6.) Combine the quinoa, veggies, cheese, ground meat/chickpeas, eggs, flour, sour cream, and spices in a large bowl. Mix well.

7.) Shape the mixture into patties with your hands.

8.) If you’re grilling the burgers, grill for four minutes on one side, flip, and grill for four minutes on the other side. If you decide to bake them, spray a cookie sheet and place the burgers on the cookie sheet. Cook for four minutes on one side, flip, and cook for four minutes on the other side.

Topping suggestions:

slices of tomato
slices of avocado
traditional burger condiments (ketchup, mustard, relish, etc.)
hummus, guacamole, and tzatziki
sriracha or other hot sauce
lettuce and/or more baby spinach
bacon strips
sautéed mushrooms and onions

Once they’re done cooking, top with your favourite toppings, devour and enjoy.