The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

Directed by Francis Lawrence

Distributed by Lions Gate

Brought back to the districts of Panem, Katniss returns with rumours of a Mockingjay rebellion and frankly, I could not care less. Katniss is joined by Gale (Liam Hemsworth), Haymitch (Woody Harrelson), Plutarch (Philip Seymour Hoffman), and Effie (Elizabeth Banks) to become a beacon of hope in Panem but the plot is as lifeless as District 12. Jennifer Lawrence returns as the beautiful, fearless Katniss Everdeen, but that is all you’re going to get from this Hunger Games.

This film is filler leading to the finale of The Hunger Games series. The first two in the series were action-packed. Hollywood let us down with a slow, boring film. Two films is way too much for the last novel and is a cash grab.

Lawrence’s brilliant acting could not save this film. The love triangle is still as obtuse as before, but honestly, Katniss seemed more worried about being with Peeta than saving the Districts. In my opinion, her devotion to the rebellion is quite weak.

The Hunger Games films have an interesting perspective on political power and propaganda. Besides focusing on the brutality and viciousness of the games, we now get to see the political tactics of the Capitol and how the districts are planning to start their rebellion.

This film is a portrayal of how powerful media and propaganda can be, and how hard it is to undo political brainwashing. President Snow (Donald Sutherland) uses media coverage and videos of destruction to keep his citizens in line. Katniss struggles to find ways to unleash the Districts from Snow’s icy grip.

New characters including, President of District 13, Alma Coin, played by Julianne Moore, and Cressida, played by Natalie Dormer try to spice up the film.

Their addition is not enough and unfortunately because of all the nitty-gritty details the film provides, you will need to view it to understand the final movie.

Mockingjay Part 1 is a snooze. Wake me when Part 2 is out.