F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic story The Great Gatsby has come to the screen once again, this time directed by the artistic Baz Luhrmann.

Luhrmann combines modern characteristics of cinema and mixes them with his adaptation of New York City in the 1920s. Narrated by Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire), the film takes modern audiences through the story of Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his long awaited reunion with his love, Daisy (Carey Mulligan). But Daisy has married another man, creating obstacles for the lovers.

Gatsby’s soundtrack is full of artists like Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Gotye, and Lana Del Rey. Their songs are mainly used in the movies during the extravagant parties thrown by Gatsby and adds to the style of the roaring ’20s, conveying the spirit of New York City.

The most ingenious use of music was adding in Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue.” A classic 1920s jazz composition audiences are still familiar with today, it fits the setting of the movie and allows the audience to make connections with what they are watching. The music also adds to the glamourous visuals being shown. The costumes, scenery, and colour all further the excellent art direction of the film.

The Great Gatsby’s cast is perfect. DiCaprio’s performance of Gatsby is both moving and relatable. His connection with his leading lady is beautiful to watch.

Carey Mulligan’s portrayal of Daisy is top-notch. The audience feels her character’s struggle while she carries herself with sophistication throughout the movie.

Tobey Maguire is shown in a different light than audiences are used to with his sweet portrayal of Gatsby’s narrator.

Joel Edgerton’s performance as Daisy’s husband, Tom Buchanan, is fantastic. His carriage throughout the film is rough and prudish simultaneously. He’s the character you love to hate.

All around, Luhrmann’s adaptation of The Great Gatsby is one to marvel at. The impeccable cast, artistic style and music means there’s something for everybody. The movie is overall an A+ production.

—Rating: 4.5/5