The last instalment of the Hunger Games saga is finally here. Francis Lawrence’s Mockingjay Part 2 is a tense, emotional ride that plunges the viewer into the war-torn continent of Panem. Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) must choose between remaining a pawn for the rebellion or risking an assassination attempt on the villainous President Snow (Donald Sutherland).

Picking up almost exactly where Part 1 left off, Mockingjay assumes the viewer is completely up to speed and explains very little. It dumps you right back into District 13 and expects you to keep up. There’s a particular scene where several names are listed off, several of which I couldn’t place.

Regardless, the film is powerful and faithful to the books. It takes the viewer on Katniss’ journey to end the war as efficiently as she can, whether or not it’s the smartest move.

Jennifer Lawrence’s performance is outstanding. You can feel Katniss’ feelings building inside her until she finally has to let it out.

Something notable about the film is its score. Equal parts suspenseful and sad, composer James Newton Howard effectively conveys the tone of each scene with his haunting melodies. In contrast, the film uses silence often, adding to the seriousness of the subject matter and suspense. It’s almost torturous, waiting for that jump scare you know is coming.

The costume design, set design, and makeup are all well done. The citizens of the Capitol are eccentric and brightly coloured, but dimmer than in the last film. The rebels wandering District 13 are dreary and depressing.

The lighting is grim, further emphasizing dark tones and sucking the joy out of everything. There is nary a smile to be seen. One of the only breaks from total seriousness is Johanna Mason (Jena Malone) and her blunt “do whatever I want” attitude. It’s a refreshing breather from the pained expressions on everyone else’s faces.

Because of its darkness, the film drags on. There are lots of scenes with hushed heart-to-hearts, motivational speeches, and planning, planning, planning. There are definitely good action sequences, but they are few and far between.

Mockingjay certainly took its time, using two whole movies to tell the story, but it fills its scenes with character and plot building. No scene is empty. Well-made and well-executed, it is worth the watch if only to get that much-needed closure from the series.