Cinderella

Directed by Kenneth Branagh

Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures

Cinderella is a story that has had countless adaptations, whether they are through books, plays, television, or film. Because it is a story audiences are familiar with it, producing an adaptation audiences will love is challenging.

Disney’s 2015 live-action remake of Cinderella has without a doubt succeeded at this task. Director Kenneth Branagh has cleverly intertwined the Disney animated classic with the original fairytale, making it an enjoyable experience for audiences of all ages.

The story opens with Ella (Lily James) as a child. Her childhood happiness with her mother and father disappears as she grows up. Cinderella’s father marries Lady Tremaine (Cate Blanchett), whose two horrid daughters pick on Ella. Once her father dies Ella becomes Lady Tremaine’s servant, “Cinderella.” Everything changes for Cinderella when she meets the Prince (Richard Madden) who helps her rebel against her stepmother.

The growth of Cinderella as a character was the strongest part of the story’s adaptation. In previous versions of Cinderella, she is a weak character that does not accomplish things for herself. Branagh’s variation, however, gives Cinderella her independence and strength without changing how the story plays out.

The visuals are gorgeous. The costumes were well-done and over-the-top without seeming unfitting, and added life to the characters. The scenery was primarily live-action based, without CGI, which made the overall experience more visually pleasing. Additionally, the makeup was tremendous. The characters go through physical transformations which never failed to meet expectations.

The movie was overall a well-casted film. Richard Madden is a dashing and delightful prince, whose chemistry with Lily James is incredible. James is a sweet Cinderella, but sometimes lacked conviction in the more dramatic scenes. The stepsisters played by Sophie McShera and Holliday Grainger were well-paired, but their performances brought nothing new to the characters.

Helena Bonham Carter makes a brief, but memorable, appearance as the Fairy Godmother. Her comedy is well-timed and is Cinderella’s helper rather than her saviour. The undeniable shining star of the film is the incomparable Cate Blanchett. Everything from the way she carried herself to the way she delivered her lines was perfection. The dialogue in the movie was sometimes poorly written, which hindered the other actors at times, but never Blanchett.

The movie’s score, provided by Patrick Doyle, was divine. He intelligently connected the themes together and the score carried the emotion of the film.

The film is an overall must-see on the big screen. Filmed in England, the film is a visual treat for all movie-goers. Perhaps the best adaptation of Cinderella, audiences will love how the story’s retold with the new plot twists and surprises this film offers.