Atlanta native Killer Mike was delivering raw, edgy rhymes at the River Stage. (Photos by Willie Carroll)

With Wu-Tang Clan having played only a few days ago, hip-hop heads at Bluesfest got to check a few more emcees off their bucket list on day six.

Down at the River Stage, Atlanta native Killer Mike was delivering raw, edgy rhymes. On stage with only a DJ, he was quick to acknowledge the crowd’s level of excitement.

“I’m all swagged up like Soulja Boy,” he exclaimed. “I ain’t never dance like this!”

Moving around, throwing his hands up, and engaging the crowd in a bit of call-and-response, it wasn’t long until Mike brought out his friend and recent collaborator El-P, a rapper/producer from Brooklyn.

The two then proceeded to don glittering chains and perform a number of songs from their recently released collaborative LP Run the Jewels. In what was his final song of the evening, Mike proceeded to jump over the front barrier of the stage to share one last moment with  the audience, all while rapping an a cappella freestyle.

El-P played a proper set of his own soon after, and was just as impressive, bringing a battery of musicians to back him up. Among the instrumentalists were both an electric guitar and keytar player.

“If there is one thing I can be remembered for,” he joked, “It should be that I brought the keytar back to rap.”

It wasn’t too long into a set filled with rolling beats and expert delivery that the man returned the favour to Killer Mike and brought him on stage to perform more collaborative material.
Weezer's show was a hit parade from the start.
Weezer’s show was a hit parade from the start.

After two very enjoyable sets, I made my way to the Bell Stage to catch Weezer. Having missed them at Bluesfest two years ago, I was more than happy to make up for that on day six.

As I predicted, it was a hit parade from the start, with the band getting the crowd going by playing “My Name is Jonas” and “Hash Pipe” back to back.
Lead man Rivers Cuomo seemed a bit shaky to start the show, but settled in and gave a delightful performance behind the mic. All the hits Weezer fans expected to hear were played, leaving a very happy audience by the end. Hits such as “Say It Ain’t So” and “Buddy Holly” saw the entire crowd join in a giant sing-along.
Another excellent day at the festival in the books.