[Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

As the pandemic slowly loosens its grip on our social life, we are bound to explore our newfound freedom. Through trials and tribulations, we finally have the opportunity to break out the show-stopping pieces that we’ve been hoarding since March of 2020. 

In my lookbook, you are going to find four ready-to-wear menswear outfits which suit the masses. Of course, certain aspects may be shifted or completely removed—but that’s the beauty of fashion. Like many other forms of art, it’s subjective. 

Look 1: Basic on a Budget

Having a cozy fleece or wool overshirt is a staple in Ottawa fashion. Ottawans would be lying to ourselves if we said we weren’t afraid of it snowing at any possible moment. This wool overshirt from Frank & Oak is robust and sleek enough to serve the two main purposes of Ottawa streetwear: functional and fashionable.

The bottom of the outfit is where it may become dicey for some. I am a lover of cropped bottoms, which may come from the fact that it was hard to find pants that fit me when I was younger. 

Nonetheless, these cropped Dickies trousers are available in a straight cut and in a multitude of colours. For this specific look, I chose to style darker tones as we see dark colours becoming more prominent in mens fashion around this time. 

Finally, you’ll find a sneaker that everyone has seen, owned, worn and probably beat up. The Nike SB Dunk or Blazer High are good replacements for this sneaker around the same price point. 

The overall agenda of this outfit is to be casual yet stylish and quite frankly, fairly low cost. The sweater and pants are wardrobe staples you’ll likely be able to find versions of at the thrift store.

Look 2: Classic Menswear With a Twist

The focus of this outfit is to display how classic menswear can be spruced up. If you watch menswear YouTube videos, you’ll know content creators rave about Chelsea boots and denim as if they were their firstborn child.

I wear Chelsea boots as a less formal replacement for Double Monk or Brogue dress shoes. As Chelsea boots begin to fade, Clarks are stepping up to the plate as a direct boot replacement. Am I happy about it? No, but trends will come and go.

Sitting atop the boots are a simple and cheap pair of trousers from Uniqlo. Along with the jacket, this combination probably took a hundred dollars out of my bank account and I can’t stop raving about it. The ability to purchase a luxury brand name at a fraction of the price is simply phenomenal. Uniqlo often teams up with high fashion designers and well-known pop artists like Keith Haring and Andy Warhol to give you high-quality pieces at mall pricing.   

Finally, I love my Heron Preston top. The mock neck works great as a layered piece, as well as a stand-alone statement. The subtle “СТИЛЬ” on the collar peeks out underneath trench coats and worker jackets. This shirt can easily be replaced by a plain mock neck from Zara or companies like Champion and Stussy who have released similarly designed tops. 

Look 3: Cozy Casual Knit

As you will see from the next two outfits, I have an infatuation with Stone Island. Something about putting on a piece and seeing the compass band on your arm produces a sense of pride and devotion. Even brand new pieces from the brand appear as if they’ve been through a journey, which I love. 

Nonetheless, this sweater can be replaced by other knits which don’t burn such a deep hole in your wallet. The general look of tighter-fitting trousers and a knit sweater makes for a very straightforward yet put-together outfit. 

Now, I would have normally reached for a pair of all-white, leather sneakers from Banana Republic which I really wish were Common Projects. But hey, not all of my CERB can go towards sneakers. 

I chose to wear my Nike X Undercover Daybreaks to provide a more personal take on a fairly simple outfit. Nike Air Max 90’s could have easily replaced the Daybreaks seen above, as well as any shoe that compliments the tapered fit of the bottoms. 

Knit is going to be the king of fall fashion and for good reason. It can be found priced affordably, worn casually or formally and can stand alone as your only protection from treacherous Ottawa weather.

Look 4: MC Hammer called, he approves

Following the success of cargo shorts in the summer, it seems only right that cargo pants continue their run through our closets. The key to a great pant this fall is width. The boxier they fit, the better the outfit will look.

Trends are seemingly shifting away from tight-fit clothing and instead are leaving more for the imagination. Mock necks and enlarged T-shirts reign supreme amidst the game of tops. Slightly loose and baggy crewnecks appear to be in style this fall.

These shoes are a must-have for men this summer. As you’ll see around Ottawa, Blundstones are an extremely prominent boot. I find they are overdone and should be replaced by Dr. Martens. 

Whether it is the high-top or the low-top, Dr. Marten 1461’s can fit in any outfit that features wide bottoms. The chunkiness of the sole in tandem with the polished leather makes for a boot that cannot be rivalled.

Fashion, forward

I hope that my lookbook gives you fashion inspiration for this coming fall. Please note that these outfits can be tinkered with and built upon based on your liking. Feel free to tack on your favourite chains, earrings, rings and bracelets to make these looks feel like your own. I’ve provided you with the blueprint—now it’s time for you to go on and build it.

Featured image by Spencer Colby