The University of Ottawa Gee-Gees used their experience and execution to hand the Carleton Ravens their second loss of the season, winning 66-49 on Dec. 4. 

Gee-Gees transfers Katherine Follis (Ryerson University) and Tyra Blizzard (University of Windsor) both stepped up with a team-high 13 points. Meanwhile, fifth-year Alyssa Cerino led the Ravens in scoring with 15. 

Follis called the win “a team victory.” Five players hit double-digit points for the Gee-Gees. Ottawa attacked the paint against Carleton early and often, building an 18-10 lead after one quarter and a 38-26 lead by halftime.

“They play more of a gap defence and we really try to penetrate and force them to help,” Blizzard noted. She hit two three-pointers in front of friends and family in her first Carleton-Ottawa game. It was her birthday as well. 

“We learned that we have a lot more power and grit within us because we knew if we just worked harder, then we would win the game,” Blizzard said.

The hard work paid off, Ottawa having a 41-31 advantage in rebounds. 

“It just comes down to effort and need to box out and cover rotations where they should have been,” said Cerino. “It started with on the offensive end where we just didn’t take care of the ball.”

Offensively, Carleton struggled at times, shooting 14.3 per cent from the three-point range and only scoring eight points in the third quarter. They turned the ball over 20 times compared to Ottawa’s 14. 

Cerino called it a learning experience for the team saying while the Gee-Gees’ experience helped them, it wasn’t an excuse for Carleton. 

“You know what to expect more and you can’t play scared,” she said of the advantages experience brings. “Me as a vet, I’d like to help the rookies not play scared and I don’t think they played scared considering they haven’t been in that position before.”

For Ottawa, the experience came from adding Follis and Blizzard to an already veteran team.

Follis reached two national championships during her time at Ryerson. Blizzard played in the past two Ontario University Athletics All-Star games. Follis said it was a “no brainer” to come to Ottawa for the master’s of sports management program and basketball. 

“I felt like I wasn’t finished playing basketball,” she said. “I felt like I could give more and do more and I was really interested in pursuing more academically.”

The Ravens now have a 9-2 record [Photo by Spencer Colby].
Blizzard came for the human kinetics program and to spend her final season of eligibility at home in Ottawa. She called it special to be able to wear the same number eight jersey as her mom, who also played and coached for the Gee-Gees. 

Their experience helped them gel with their new teammates, according to Blizzard. 

“It was tough coming in because we didn’t have that chemistry. We never played together. But because we’re fifth-years and we have the experience, it was a quick click,” she said. 

Follis added the veterans all bring something different to the team. She provides communication while Blizzard brings positivity and hustle. 

Both the Gee-Gees and Ravens have been hit by injuries, both only playing eight players in the game. Blizzard called it “a blessing in disguise”, as other players have stepped up and improved. 

Follis herself has been through many injuries. During a five season stint as a Ryerson Ram, she suffered two torn ACLs and had three knee surgeries. Follis received an extra year of eligibility due to her injuries. Most recently, she dislocated her finger on Nov. 17 against Algoma University and had to get it popped back in at the hospital.

However, these setbacks don’t stop her. She has already been to nationals twice in her career and recognizes this year is her and many of her teammates’ last chance to make the most of the opportunity. 

“We realize it’s our time. This is it,” Follis said. “We don’t have any other option, we don’t have any other choice or time so putting everything we can into this next semester and hopefully playoffs and nationals. Fingers crossed, everything goes our way.”

The Ravens will look to get back to winning when they travel to North Bay to take on the Nipissing University Lakers on Jan. 10.

Feature image by Spencer Colby.