Intergenerational issues, such as climate change and inequality, can only be addressed if young Canadians vote in greater numbers than ever before.

This year’s federal election, announced on Aug. 15, will mark a tight race for power between federal parties. This race can be shaped by young voters—if they show up to the polls.

Young voters are the historically least likely group to turn out to vote. This difference is attributed to logistical and informational barriers, as well as gaps in generational attitudes about voting.

A 25 per cent turnout gap between youth aged 18 to 25 and seniors aged 65 to 74 means that older Canadians, with less stake in long-term issues such as climate change, hold the decision-making power over issues that affect youth. 

Does this mean there is no hope for youth who wish to make their voices heard? Not at all.

But they need to show up.

These intergenerational issues can only be addressed if those most affected by them—such as youth affected by climate change—recognize the power in their vote and the importance of shifting generational narratives around voting.

Young voters comprise nearly three million of approximately 27 million eligible voters in federal elections. In the last two federal elections, just over half that number actually made it to the polls. If every young voter came out to vote in this election, the demographic could nearly double its voting power.

Voting is one of the most effective methods of enacting societal change. Young Canadian voters cannot forget their innate and inalienable power to vote for their representatives. In order for more people to thrive, young voters need to be involved in shaping policies that will secure their futures.

Those eligible to vote in this fall’s federal election can check their voter registration at elections.ca.

Featured graphic from file.