On Aug. 4, an explosion with seismic waves the equivalent of a magnitude 3.3 earthquake occurred in Lebanon’s capital city, Beirut. Lebanese authorities say the explosion was caused by 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate that was stored for six years at a port warehouse. The explosion killed at least 220 people, injured thousands more, and left an estimated 300,000 people displaced from their homes. 

Unlike many other tragedies in the Middle East, major Western news media outlets not only swiftly reported on the story, but continued to follow its development in an attempt to properly contextualize the situation. While continued coverage of this tragic event is newsworthy and garnered support for the Lebanese community, it is also important to consider how the in-depth coverage of this particular event frames Beirut to Western audiences who may have never heard of the city before the blast.

The context of a thriving Beirut prior to the blast is largely missing from the story’s continued coverage in Western media. The Lebanese community unquestionably needs unity and aid in this difficult time, but the citizens of Beirut are also much more than the blast. Prior to the explosion, Beirut was a thriving city with a beautifully-lit skyscraper skyline. Western media only covered Beirut when it felt like the city was literally being ripped apart—perpetuating a tired narrative of helplessness in the Middle East. 

Westerners have a bad habit of only educating themselves on North American cultures, which makes the single narrative surrounding Beirut’s coverage more dangerous. It’s important that allies around the world understand that even though Beirut and the Lebanese community need help right now, they still have agency. Instead of making assumptions about a country and its citizens based solely on a tragic event, Westerners should have educated themselves on Lebanese culture and the vibrancy of Beirut prior to the blast in order to better understand how they can help the Lebanese community now. 

Pity fueled by reductive assumptions is not the way to help Beirut heal. Do not let Beirut and its citizens fall prey to a monolithic narrative built on tired tropes of poverty and helplessness in the Middle East. Help Lebanese citizens best use their own agency by listening to their needs and understanding the complexity of their home.

Featured graphic from file.