A large part of the #MeToo movement was the concern with relationships between people in position of power and people who worked under them.

Former entertainment executive Harvey Weinstein allegedly routinely threatened actors’ careers in exchange for sexual favours. Ashley Judd, an actor who frequently worked on movies produced by Weinstein, sued him for damaging her acting career.

Universities experience issues with ethically questionable relationships as well. Steven Galloway, former chair of the University of British Columbia (UBC)s creative writing program, was accused of sexual assault by a former student. In an open letter to UBC’s president, the student calls for stricter regulations governing student-teacher relationships.

Workplaces, including universities, commonly have contracts which dictate what is acceptable between coworkers. Graduate students do research and work with professors. Even though students are only attending classes, they are still entering a workplace environment. The same ethical rules should apply to students as those between professors or others working for the university.

Universities shouldn’t be exempt from the standards of ethics and professionalism held in other workplaces.

Superior-subordinate relationships are too problematic to be allowed to go unregulated as they have been, and more needs to be done to protect everyone involved.