The University of British Columbia (UBC) should be commended for its decision to cancel classes on Sept. 18 in order to give students an opportunity to attend the Truth and Reconciliation Commission being held in Vancouver.

The commission seeks to gather testimony from survivors of the residential school system that formerly operated in Canada, where aboriginal people were forcibly removed from their homes and often subject to emotional, physical, and sexual abuse.

This dark chapter in Canadian history is undoubtedly one of our country’s greatest wrongdoings.

By taking such a strong stance in favour of education on aboriginal issues, UBC has allowed students the valuable opportunity to attend workshops and testimonials held by the commission, without having to miss class, and learn information they otherwise may not have access to.

Even though many students may not attend the commission’s events, the university has created the necessary awareness of the commission itself simply by making such a rare decision to cancel classes.

Part of the university experience is engaging in dialogue on important issues and debates, and UBC’s decision has allowed a key demographic the ability to partake in a subject matter they may know little about, thus helping to educate young minds on aboriginal issues.