Deadlines for homework and assignments can be some of the most stressful parts of university academic life, and recent studies at the University of Warwick Business School suggest those who leave their work until the last minute actually suffer when it comes to grades.

Despite that, some people can leave most of their work until the last minute and still be successful, and many people actually do it best that way.

While not everyone should procrastinate on every assignment,  you can still leave your work to the last minute if you know what you’re doing.

The research at Warwick suggests saving your work until deadline on average will drop your grade by up to five per cent. While that can be true for people who forget about their assignments or simply keep putting them off with no thought, it is not the case for everyone.

Some people may prefer to do all their work well before the due date, spacing it out, and doing it piece-by-piece—and that is fine.

On the other hand, some people prefer the adrenaline of doing their work in one big burst on the evening before their work is due, making use of their deadline. While professors may discourage this, it is possible to do it this way if you organize yourself beforehand.

Know what you’re doing and plan for how much time you need. If you have everything laid out and still feel you can leave it until deadline, feel free to do it that way.