As Ottawa mayoral candidates square off in debates in anticipation of the Oct. 22 municipal election, students should pay close attention to the election and what candidates have to say.

Often, students engage in the federal election, but pay little to no attention to municipal elections.

The municipal government makes important decisions that affect the day-to-day lives of students, such as transportation, and how much they must pay to commute via OC Transpo buses or the O-train. Another important issue the municipal government makes decisions about, is where safe-injection sites are located.

Clearly, it is important for students to educate themselves about the role the municipal government plays in the city and how its decisions can affect them. For example, if a councillor is proposing to raise OC Transpo fares in exchange for better services in another city department, depending on the voter, this might make them a more or less favourable candidate.

So, whether individuals are for or against raising public transportation fares or having safe-injection sites in their neighbourhoods, the only way for them to have their voices and concerns heard is by engaging with city council elections.