Imagine a building on Carleton’s campus designed by its students, for its students.

The Sprott Hotel planned by business and architecture students in a newly created master’s course could be just that. The proposals put forth this December could be more than simply proposals—they could be the plans for an innovative new part of the school campus created by students.

Carleton can save money through this project. The building would be beneficial as a training facility and new source of income, but more importantly students would have a hand in creating it, and this would mean students themselves performing tasks usually done by hired workers.

The school can promote that its own students have contributed to its infrastructure. Students were able to see a problem, that Dunton Tower wasn’t a good place for the Sprott school, and found a solution to that problem.

The buildings on campus are an integral part of our school community and this kind of project would allow students to leave a legacy at their school.

Projects like this are important because they allow students to use their skills and expertise in a real and tangible way—not only experience to draw from, but something to put on a resume or in a portfolio. There will always be interest in a course in which students can gain these kinds of benefits, and that in turn could attract talented new students.

Carleton should encourage and fund programs like this one that give students such invaluable opportunities and hands-on experiences.