Every candidate in the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) election is running unopposed, according to an announcement made March 16.

According to the GSA website, there will be no voting process because every candidate is acclaimed. The call for poll clerks has been crossed out and the candidates have their positions in place.

This is not a democratic way to “elect” a paid executive council. Students should be given the option for a “no” vote so that any concerns against candidates can be heard. Even if all are elected, at least the GSA will know they were elected for a reason via a proper democratic process.

This is especially concerning given the fact two of these candidates are already on this year’s executive council.

For example, the GSA and the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) have had a relationship marked by lawsuits for several years. Normally, the new school year and its new executive board could allow for a semi-clean slate between these two groups. Because CUSA also has an executive who will be returning for a second year, this lack of cohesion between the two associations is concerning and could continue to be an issue.

Students should have the chance to voice their opinions on such an important event as this election, even if that opinion is still the resounding “yes” they are currently forcing upon the graduate student body.