Students are campaigning at Simon Fraser University (SFU) after they were unable to switch to their preferred names on their student identification cards.

The campaign is a movement focusing on this issue in relation to transgender students who wish to use their preferred name.

While the use of preferred names is included on documents such as class lists and student email both at SFU and Carleton, all universities should give students the ability to use one’s preferred name on their student ID.

The issue is not just about personal preference; it also has to do with personal safety. Nathan Lyndsay, one of the students affected by the issue, said it brings up the need for the student to delve into a deeply personal issue.

Without the ability to choose your name, students will need to explain that they wish to be called by another name. They may feel that by doing so, they have to defend their identity, something no one should have to do.

Student ID cards are used for a wide range of services on campus, so allowing the use of preferred over given names is a way of easing this process. By seeing someone’s name on an ID card, there is no need for uncomfortable questions.

Every student has the right to be treated fairly, including the right to display the name that they identify with on their student ID.