When students are elected to the Senate, the highest academic governing body at Carleton University, they should understand they have an important job to do.

The Senate is responsible for revising curricula, approving new programs, granting degrees and scholarships, and setting the academic regulations for the school.

Ten undergraduate students are elected each year to approach new policies from a student’s perspective. These positions are not just symbolic, student senators have voting power and are responsible for meeting with the departments they represent.

But what is the point of having student representation if the student reps don’t show up to meetings?

According to attendance records, student senators only go to an average of 50 per cent of Senate meetings, which are about two hours long and are held once a month.

The honorarium of $400 per year that used to accompany the position was eliminated in 2011. Originally the honorarium was for transportation, but in the Senate minutes, Senators noted that an honorarium could motivate students to participate more.

But other than reinstating this financial compensation, there is no tool for fixing the lack of participation. Once a student has been elected, they can’t be thrown out due to poor attendance.

This position is more than padding for a resumé. Senators should be at these meetings asking questions, voting on issues, and ensuring that the Senate is acting in the best interest of Carleton students.

Isn’t that why they ran for the position in the first place?