According to a recent study conducted by professors at the University of Waterloo (U of W), Canadian university and college students are particularly vulnerable to food insecurity, but have not been able to make positive change in this area due to the “starving student” stereotype—the idea that not eating enough is normal for university and college students.

Perpetuating the image of post-secondary students not eating enough is a glorification of food insecurity, and hinders meaningful change around policies that would otherwise improve this issue that affects students to a great degree.

As evidence from the U of W study suggests, there is a direct correlation between the inability to afford higher education and food insecurity in Canadian universities.

While students often joke about being low on cash, it is a grave reality that they often have to cut corners around aspects of healthy living, such as eating well, to be able to afford education and manage their studies, especially in light of rising tuition costs. The “broke student” stereotype stems from a real problem that must be taken seriously—the problem runs far deeper than the idea that students mismanage their money.

Universities offer resources such as campus food banks and grocery student discounts to help alleviate students’ struggles to eat well. But, more can be done at a higher government level—it just requires those in power to see past the stereotypes and into the deeper issue.