At Quest University (Quest U) in B.C., the school recently made the decision to completely stop its varsity athletics program. This news came as a shock to the students and athletes who had no idea that the school would shut down the program. Quest U’s administration decided to end the varsity program due to financial constraints, and is instead looking to invest the money into student wellness.

Varsity athletics are an important part to student life on campus, as it helps build school spirit and provides entertainment for the student body. Having a sports team to cheer for creates a sense of attachment between students and the school.

Taking the varsity program away diminishes school spirit in the student body, as they no longer have an outlet to support their school in competition. Often, the biggest events on campus are related to school sports; homecoming, rivalry games, and playoffs can be some of students’ best memories from their time at university.

Without these major events, the student experience can feel empty and monotonous. The athletes themselves get the worst of it, as going from playing for their school, to not playing at all can be extremely tough. Many of the athletes may have even chosen the school so that they can play sports there—now those students at Quest U are being abandoned by the administration. 

School administrations need to think twice before they cancel their varsity programs because it can negatively affect the student body and athletes at the university.