A residency policy that meant students would be charged $10 to borrow a temporary key if they accidentally lock their own keys in their room has been repealed for the fall semester, but is under review for the winter semester.

If this policy is approved and students don’t return the key, the charge goes up to $50.

There would be no permanent key being copied and staff members wouldn’t be running around residences to unlock doors—so why would the fine be so steep for a mistake?

Off campus, the solution is to call someone with a spare key or make a sheepish plea to your landlord. Everyone has been there—no one will be taking your dinner money in exchange for the inconvenience of letting you into your home.

Carleton students already pay $9,500 to $12,000 in residence fees, depending on their meal plan and room set-up. Carleton residences aren’t hurting for money and there are different ways to deter lost keys.

A more reasonable solution would be requiring students to leave a deposit, collateral in the form of ID, or an automatic charge on a student account that could be easily cancelled when the temporary key is returned. Even $2 would be a lot kinder than $10.

Carleton residence staff takes pride in making the campus a welcoming environment and a home for many students who are living alone for the first time.

They should be showing a little sympathy for an embarrassing mistake, not slapping on another arbitrary charge to students living in residence.